Translate

Wednesday 13 August 2014

Hiding in Plain Sight

The best way to hide is to do so in plain sight. I cannot over-emphasize the relevance of this phrase in our interaction with people everyday.

Recently, I had the honour of chit-chatting a sweet little angel of a hypocrite. The disparaging conversation quickly turned to her, because as you all know...I am a selfless darling.

It was actually a self analysis of her that I was secretly conducting but my subject matter (I say this very affectionately) quickly exhibited the orthodox defensive mechanism - perhaps as a conditioned reflex to ward off critics and those of ill motives.

For instance, she was devoid of self-consciousness in the fashion scene. Apparently, toning down conspicousness and flamboyance is evidence enough of "no f**** given" in glamour. As a simpleton (I write this with a smile, but deep down, I sneer), she subtly dresses unlike the barbie girls because she is oblivious to the hype around it.

Bollocks, when you have the looks to negate all other visual attributes, the sun smiles at you while it drops coal on the rest of us. Touchè. However, I insist that no matter how good you look, you must have the desire to complement the looks with a keen sense of style. Infact, what drives people to go easy on dressing is either to win the universal virtual dressing contest or subtly exhibit the very "sincere" modesty. "Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth." Well, doesn't the end justify the means?

Luckily, I got the hint and avoided an eternity of arguments on the very intrinsic subject.

You see, my subject matter is not your mediocre being in heels and a cheap weave. Therefore, imagine my surprise when after complimenting her beauty, she played it down and completely alienated herself from the echoleon of unbelievable damsels (I was not surprised really, but I acted surprised to help her drive her point home).

Sometimes, the modesty is overrated and makes you archaic in your principles. Out with the outdated norms of turning down felicitations (which should be distinguished from flattery) and in with the confident aura which should distinguish you from the posy-undeserving members of the fairer sex.

Yes, as a lady moderation in self-gratification oozes class but then again the recission of the same is frustrating to the generous lot of us. There should be neither shame nor apologies for the masterpiece ardoned inherently. Or have you ever seen a laureate rescind an award? Scratch that, would I play down comparisons with the best writers?

In retrospect, I can say that she was in actuality gloating by being humble. It is the age old strategy of letting others praise you as you soak in its glory, beaming with pleasure heartily but weilding a facial expression that implies that you are not fit for the throne.

Frankly, it is an approach I admire because whereas pride comes before a fall, modesty is timeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment