Translate

Sunday 10 August 2014

Righting Perfection

For a perfectionist is a person who strives for flawlessness and sets excessively high performance standards, accompanied by overly critical self-evaluations and concerns regarding others' evaluations.

I have come to the unsurprising conclusion that I belong to this unlucky peripheral affiliation. I say unlucky because in the quest for perfection, detailing and intrication are the bread and butter of my livelihood, and that is tenaciously out of sorts.

Whether it is in terms of physical appearances, educational expertise, financial enterprises or even romantic extertions, I have always added gloss to whatever I mould. You guessed it, I am a righter of wrongs (pun intended).

As likely as not, by now you have already shut your mind to everything but my perfect love life. Usually, I would concort a Romeo and Julliet fallacy and hopelessly entice all my "hopeful-romantic" readers but as you all have come to learn, that is not yours truly. Now take a seat...

My love life is the equivalent of a piñata. My brain contorts all sorts of utopian epiphanies. It is a party in my mind where the woman of my dreams is picturesqued as the most gracious creature of them all. It is always lights, camera and the action does not have to be cued because it never stops. Owing to my sexuality, I fantasize not about my wedding(s) but maybe a little about the proposal leading up to it -but that is a story for another day-.

There is only one problem though, the actual damsel. There have been many women of my dreams, but they always fall short of the standard of a perfectionist. Be it her beauty, her acumen (pardon my gender insensitivity), her personality, her availability or her ability to reciprocate love....something is always amiss.

Scratch that, there is more than one problem. Whenever I find a perfect woman, the onus shifts to me to be the perfect man. I could sit here and purport to be divine but the truth is, I am nothing of the sort because if I was, I would not be writing about idyllic love, I would be living it.

Lamentably, (being the pragmatist that I am) I have given up on the idea of finding a perfect life-partner, perhaps partly because I have tainted the consummate image with my flawed ego. Moreover, what would you call a perfect girl who fell in love with an imperfect guy? Exactly...

Eureka! I have concluded that all the components that make someone perfect are circumstancial, superficial and temporary situations that do not necessarily last longer than modern relationships. And the quest for perfection is a life-long pursuit of hapiness that knows not contentment. The truth is, there will always be better than what you already have but once you decide that you deserve better than that which gives you satisfaction, the universe can only give you what you want.....better......over and over again. And that my darling readers is not hapiness but vain attempts to grab the infinite as opposed to the finite.

The single lot of us are cancerous plotters of our own downfall by creating a figment of an impeccable imagination.The problem with finding the woman of your dreams is that after you dream, you ought to wake up. And it is that which we want when wide awake that we ultimately desire, that which we desire for no valid reason.

It is because unconditional love knows not beauty, brains, personalities and other volatile nitty gritties. The day I find my soul-mate, it will be because of nothing sane or justifiable. My common senses will be void to my acrimonious scrutiny and that.....that readers, will be perfection. Instead of looking into her glinting eyes and bombarding her with clichès of "You are beautiful,"..... I shall simply say "You are.....you....and I love you."

A pensive state I am in, and in this imperfect world, we must learn to influence a new perfection order where the imperfect systems have set up the benchmark for perfection. If we allow the hypocritic conformity to misguide our perceptions, then we are no better than our hypocritic predecessors....

For when all is said and done, the incarnate perfectionist knows that perfection is but an illusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment