Translate

Wednesday 10 September 2014

The Glass Half Drunk

I shan't be branded as partisan to social norms simply because I have my reservations. You see, I am a simple boy, I do whatever I like, whenever I like and however I like. Ofcourse, everything has its exceptions and I am no exception.

I started out living a straight-edged lifestyle, don't we all? However, mine lasted longer than most people....why? You may ask. At first I was actually gullible enough to believe the stories made to intimidate adolescents on the health hazards of alcohol. Well, the stories have a high degree of authenticity but the professors back in the final years of high school may disagree. These genius minds concur that you only live once, and as such death is inevitable. You might as well enjoy the ride because a life lived in fear and caution is not a life worth living.

I choose to adhere to the former rule of teenage conservatism. Whereas many of these kill-joys are detested, I was quite popular simply because my mind works faster than the quick trash talkers' mouths. I am a master of deceit and hence concorting stories about my epic stuporous excursions was a stroll in the park. To cap off a fine performance, I would ofcourse arrive at the teenage parties "drunk" and legends were told about the dimunitive outspoken son who could hold his liquor like a reverend in a whore-house.

Ironically, my drunken lifestyle made lose all the enthusiasm I had for the forbidden drink. Hitherto, I am still of the opinion that alcohol is not a useful component in my life. Some take it to boost their self esteem and that is understandable really, for loneliness is a female hound. My lords and ladies, you can attest that my self esteem could not be boosted more even if I tried. Whatever the reason people engage in partaking of the bibilical drink, they either aim to fit in or to distract themselves from life's problems. With that said, alcohol is for the lonely and the cowardly.

As common with pathological liars, I preach water and drink wine. I shan't lie to you about this though, I have parteketh of that which I had vowed not to touch, quite severally. Therefore, I can write objectively about something I know little of, which does not happen often.

I have come to the realization that alcohol is a greater phenomena than the average mind would care to fathom. At the end of the day, it is just a drink which has been a scarring choice in most lives. I am not here to criticize alcohol and earn points in the "goody-two-shoes" world....on the contrary.

Until we all appreciate alcohol, it will forever be seen as a stumbling block where there is none. Let us face it, forbidden fruits taste sweetest and preaching against it and rehabilitating addicts only makes the heart grow fonder. Appreciating alcohol entails knowing what it actually entails.

First of all, knowing your limit is unquestionably important in order to prevent yourself from being only good for working as a lab rat in an Ebola treatment facility or as an organ donor. We must realize that people will have their booze whether we like it or not. One of our main sources of revenue and job creation cannot be wished away on several prayers. People should in fact drink so much that our economic growth rate sky-rockets but so little that they remain in control.

Secondly is to realize that alcohol is not meant for everyone. Only an imbecile can be caught drunk whereas he/she has contentment in life, but only few of us are content in life. I am not saying that I am above alcohol - actually it is exactly what I am saying without necessarily sounding like a smug, pompous bastardo Kikuyunesis.

Finally, we need to stop blowing this alcohol madness out of proportion. One "Why look at the speck of sawdust that is in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the log that is in your own eye?" springs to mind. This is the part where the "goody-two-shoes" species feels bitterness rising up their throats like bile. My lovelies, everyone has an addiction, and hearty claps for you whose addiction is not alcohol....you've won the lottery. And the award for the hypocrite of the millenium goes to club "goody-two-shoes."

Do not hate the player, hate the game. This is the reason I quit my day job of campaigning against this alcohol propaganda. If I were to tell people about the dangers of alcohol, I might as well tell them about pre-marital sex, lying and so on.....but that is not happening. I finally quit my double-standards of stereotyping alcohol as a self destructing monster because lets face it, alcohol is the source of livelihood for most people as well as solace for others.

The live and let live approach has made me see alcohol in a whole new different light. I'll drink to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment