Translate

Saturday 13 September 2014

The Dead Beat Three Ring Circus

Yesterday, I woke up to the worst morning of my life. The cold wind pierced through my skin and as my left eye peeped, it was met by the condescending, judgemental eyes of the group of people murmuring by my side. I was stark naked, lying on the side of the road and it was not a pretty sight. The men looked with pride and self-reassurance whereas the women looked in disgust, ashamed that I was part of the male species. I immediately wanted to scream that the cold prevents blood flow to specific areas to announce my masculinity every morning but was stopped in my tracks by the mirth of the present children and the camera-weilding hounds who would soon realise that photogeny is but a myth. Well, I whispered grinding my teeth, "Bite me!"

The previous night had been one of mixed feelings. Clubbing with friends is always associated with fun, unless your girlfriend has discovered your cheating ways and your friends are sick and tired of your constant bamboozles and treachery. Because I did not wake up lying in the van I had rented the previous night, I assumed that I had been drugged, stripped and dropped off awaiting my audience. I hoped with a tear deep in my throat that I had not been a victim of any sexual abuse whatsoever, I dread that.

With journalists presumably not far behind, I made up my mind to head upcountry and await my inevitable death because I am too much of a coward to attempt suicide. I was ruined, and ruined did not even begin to describe how I felt.

Hitherto, I feel sad, but not for the lies I have concorted above to make it apparent how the victims of the recent Dead Beat Kenya actually feel but but for the latter factual reality.

The week old Facebook page has generated quite the stir and has since seen many men fall from grace in the frenzied propaganda. It primarily seeks to expose parents who neglect their sirred offspring and fail to pay child support. The villians' name, photo and phone number are put up in the page with a brief history of the parental fiasco. Long are the days when facebook group administrators reaped only likes for their gallant efforts.

Its proprietor Jackson Njeru has written its description as, “This is a descriptive term that refers to parents of either gender who have freely choosen not to be supportive parents, or who do not pay their child support obligations. Deadbeat dad and deadbeat mom are commonly used by child support agencies to refer to men and women who have fathered and mothered a child but are unwilling to pay child support ordered by a family court or statutory agency."

It has received support and criticism in equal measure with the former coming from the female population. They contend that it takes two to tango and as such men ought to own up and take responsibility. Prezzo has been one of the victims with his ex-wife Daisy claiming, “You all know this monster called Jackson
Ngechu Kimotho Makini aka Prezzo. I have not seen or communicated with him since my daughter was 2 yrs. I finally took him to court to pay child support and upkeep of the child
and up to date hasn’t paid a dime. He goes around on TV and since he is able to hold a mic or have fake written interviews he is always claiming to be taking his daughter to the best school in Kenya and that she is her princess spoils her rotten. He has never paid her fees never paid any dime for her up keep all this is my sweat and my blessed parents and family support.”
This dead beat is simply an avenue to give voices to the voiceless and since investigations are carried out before defaming the "dead beats", it is justified. Why let women bear the economic burden of raising children while their fathers drink in the cup of plenty? Touchè.

However, in such situations it is difficult to differentiate truth from malice. When all's said and done, all that is posted in the group are claims or in other words, hearsay. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned and it is interesting that only 1% of women go to court to validate such claims while hundreds of thousands would rather air their dirty linen in public. Most of them are well off women with vendettas against men. Well, in truth, courts cost money but at the end of the day justice is upheld and child support is actually paid whereas the satisfaction they get from the social fuss is putting their men to shame. Sour grapes?....I think so.

This group will surely be cleaned like bad weeds in the day of harvest because it is just but a passing cloud. We live in an ingriguing state where new beastiality, virus or crime story always takes the media by storm. The last time I checked, even dead beat cannot be classified as new under the sun. As for the genius proprietor of the public court system in social networks, best of luck to him in the libel suits that are likely to follow him for years like a bad haircut.

Come to think of it, this dead beat circus is not worth my valuable time and neither is it yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment